Saturday, October 16, 2010

Honey Ham, and Everyman




It's been awhile since my last blog. For once this week didn't fly by, but rather took it's time to end. On Wednesday I went to 19th Century America class and found out the book I read wasn't due until next Wednesday, but the other book we have to read is due on Tuesday. So I was a little bummed out about that, since that's 70 pages to get done on Monday in addition to some extra work for my Victorian Literature class.

That afternoon I purchased some amazing fruit from the English market. For five euro I was able to buy 2 plums, 3 bananas, a container of strawberries, a coconut, an apple, and a tomato. Later that day was Victorian literature, and then I spent the rest of the night reading for class.

Thursday morning was spent going to my three hour theatre class that's working on the play Misery and Fear in the Third Reich. I got two parts in the play, a small role as a maid in the one act called "The Spy" and my other part is a physicians assistant in "Occupational Disease." At first I was somewhat disappointed with the roles I was given, but I've learned to just roll with it and enjoy what I've got and work as hard as I can.

Afterward, my friend Sarah and I went to lunch at a really nice restaurant, although I cannot remember the name. It's right by Waterstones Bookstore on St. Patrick street. I ate my first real Irish meal, which included honey glazed ham, coleslaw, potato salad, mayo and tomatoes, and some amazing whole grain soda bread. Ever since I got here, I haven't really had anyone to go out with, and I always felt weird going to restaurants by myself. So I was really happy to finally go out and taste what Cork has to offer. When were done eating chatting, we went to Waterstones (I needed to order a book, but unfortunately they were out of stock), and then to Penny's for some clothes. Sarah got a dress for her Halloween costume as a Pride and Prejudice zombie, and I bought a turquoise sweater dress to wear with leggings for my yoga class (I've been wearing jeans, and I got told I couldn't). I also got some much needed socks, and a really cute skirt to match a shirt and sweater I got on sale at The Gap. Oh yeah! I was so excited. The Gap had a 60% off sale, and I managed to buy two sweaters, one of which was originally 70 euro for only 20. In total I got the two sweaters and a really pretty navy shirt for 55 euro, which is about 60-70 dollars. Not bad for great quality, and certainly cheap for The Gap. :)

From 12:30pm to 4am, I was up watching the K-State V.S. KU football game. It was worth every minute, despite almost falling asleep an hour and a half before it was over. 59 to 7. Such a beautiful thing! It felt really good, especially since we lost to them at K-State my Freshman year.

Yesterday I had my French film class, and we watched a really good movie about multiple love triangles. It was really funny, especially towards the end of the movie when all of the husbands/lovers starts fighting each other and the women are screaming and throwing themselves on them to stop.

Later that night I went to see a play called The Silver Tassie. It was performed in The Everyman Place Theatre, which is located about a block from Mark and Spencer's. I didn't care much for the play itself, but it was really fun sitting up in the balcony. I was to the very far left, so I couldn't see that side of the stage very well, but I did love getting to watch the show from up above. The actors spoke in a middle lower class Dublin accent, so it was funny to find that even my Cork friends/fellow acting students also had a bit of a hard time understanding everything that was being said. The most fascinating thing for me about Ireland is that each county has it's own accent, as well as an accent for each class! Someone who's rich isn't going to sound the same as someone who's poor in Cork or anywhere else for that matter. So basically each county has 3-5 different accents. Crazy, no?

That's been it for the most part. I've been really tired and sore today, and I went grocery for a lot of things. I'm making my first meatloaf tonight, and I just baked some really good chicken tenders from Mark and Spencer's. I've found that if you purchase a 2 euro bag of honey chicken tenders from Tesco, they'll last you for three meals. The chicken tenders I bought from Mark and Spencer's cost twice as much and only lasts for two. However, the quality of chicken is way better and it's so tasty! I haven't shopped at Tesco since the second or third day I got here, because it's so far away, and I didn't like shopping there at all. I actually panicked because I thought that all grocery stores were exactly like it. It was twice as crowded, they didn't really have a whole lot of prepackaged goods, the bread was wrapped in wax paper instead of in a plastic bag, and the isles weren't very organized. So yeah, Supervalu and Mark and Spencer's is the way to go for me. :)

Facts of the day:
-Healthcare is a pain. The free health clinic at UCC is usually booked for two weeks when you come in. Unless you're dying, they won't accept you any sooner than that. My roommate told me about it yesterday morning, and I was disappointed because I needed a prescription for a cough suppressant due to my constant coughing at night (I have a sinus infection).
-Every Monday morning there's a guy who plays beautiful music on his guitar out on Father Mathew Quay bridge. At night, there's usually musicians out and about with their guitars, accordions, and banjos, playing for money near most of the shopping districts.
-Get involved! I've found that most people don't make friends here because their lecture classes are so huge, and there's really no other way to meet others. There's hundreds of societies and clubs, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find something to do.







No comments:

Post a Comment